Saturday, March 16, 2013

Scene It Saturday: Oz the Great and Powerful

Last night my hot date took me to go see Oz The Great and Powerful and, since this is Scene It Saturday  I thought I would do a little mini review on it. 

First of, I'd like to point out that this is the story of Oz and it has nothing to do with Dorthy. It's basically a prequel to the Wizard of Oz that we know and love. I was hoping for a little bit more deviation in terms of characterization but their wasn't much. The beginning of the movie and trip in to Oz is very reminiscent of the classic film, and it does give it a nice nostalgic touch. Once we get to Oz the visuals are stunning. You can even tell from the poster that the graphics are over the top and larger than life. Very aesthetically pleasing, both with the visuals and the music which was done by Danny Elfman. Elfman did a great job at highlighting the story but not overpowering it. The costumes were magnificent as well. 
The acting and characterization, however, left a lot to be desired. The acting was good, not great. I felt like I got better acting out of the digitally animated characters than the on screen actors. With the exception of Mila Kunis. Yes, there was a lot of characterization that I think was missed in the screenwriting but her acting was amazing *spoiler* if it truly is her after the "transformation". I think it is... I can't find another name on IMDB.  
Overall, I think what the movie lacked in story line/story telling, characterization and acting it made up for in stunning visual effects, musical score and animated characters/voice actors. It's a great feel good family friendly movie. If you have kids and/or want a light comedy with some moral goodness attached to it, I'd say go for it. 
Final Verdict: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback!